When football season is in full swing and the leaves start changing colors, our minds turn to the holidays just around the corner. There are decorations to dust off, recipes to resurrect and cool-weather clothing to bring out of storage.
The last thing we want to think about is our home’s heating unit, but a heating unit also is the last thing we want to deal with when the hectic holiday season is upon us. Fortunately, it’s easy to make sure your unit will do its job this winter. Just schedule a fall maintenance checkup with Air Care Systems.During our fall and winter maintenance checkups, we look at anything that might affect your unit in the cold months ahead. For just $99 per preventive maintenance visit, our technician will blow out the heat exchanger, burners and orifices, and inspect all system components, including the following:
- Freon level
- Fan motors
- Heat exchangers
- Heat strips
- Defrost cycle
- Reversing valves
- Drain pans
Having your unit inspected doesn’t mean it will never need repairs or that it will operate forever. But an inspection can extend the life of your HVAC system. It will also help you avoid unpleasant surprises in the months ahead.The fact is, many homeowners are in the dark about the unit that keeps them warm in the winter. A fall maintenance checkup will keep you informed about how well your system is operating. Some of the signs your unit may need servicing are:
- Cold air – This may indicate a problem with the pilot or ignition control system.
- Lack of flow – Duct leaks, clogged air filters or a need for heat pump repair can cause a lack of flow.
- Temperature discomfort – If you notice the system stays on too long or doesn’t provide enough output, the HVAC thermostat may be the culprit.
It’s also important to know the age of your unit. Most HVAC units using a heat pump will last 10 to 12 years, and a furnace can last 15-20 years. Here are some of the warning signs your unit may be due for a replacement:
- It is operating at low efficiency, or you are receiving high utility bills during winter months.
- The cost of repairs is high enough to justify replacement.
- The unit is oversized.
- The current system runs loudly or cannot interface with new technology.
- The equipment age is beyond its useful life.
Through our preventive maintenance program – which we also have available in the spring – we’ll help maintain and validate your manufacturer warranties, reduce the risk of breakdowns, increase efficiency operation, reduce energy costs, maintain safe operation, and improve the comfort and reliability of your unit. We service all major brands of HVAC units. Program customers also receive 10 percent off repairs and free estimates on replacement units.At Air Care Systems, we’ll keep you warm through the winter. Call us today to schedule your fall checkup. We offer extended maintenance hours to fit your schedule, and our technicians are available for same-day service in most cases. Remember, our middle name is CARE for a reason!